One-day Workshop on Chinese Brush Painting
with Henry Xiaohui Li
at Blue Heron Arts Studio
19386 Waterfall Way
Rowland Heights, CA 91748
9:30AM(or10:00) AM to 3:30PM(or 4:00 PM), Any weekdays or Saturday
This is a private or intimate group workshop.
You may share the tuition with your family or friends.
Please see group rates below.
You will be the only student(s) in the workshop.
Please contact us for your desired date(s).
Section 1: Flower, Birds, and Animals(you may make special request.)
In the first part of the workshop, You will learn how to handle the sumi ink and brush, the basic strokes and principles that will enable you to create beautiful flowers and vivid birds, insects or animals in Chinese brush painting. Henry's detailed step by step explanations and live demonstrations will teach you how to paint roses, lotus, goldfish and horses.
Lunch Break: Please bring your own lunch and snacks. Victoria Li, Henry's wife, will perform live music during the lunch break.
Section 2: Misty Mountains and Wateryou may make special request.
The second half of the workshop will be focused on landscape painting. You will learn how to handle the sumi ink and brush, from the basic strokes of painting rocks and trees to the principles of composition that will enable you to create your own Chinese landscape painting. Henry Li's detailed step by step explanations and live demonstrations will teach you how to paint misty mountains, waterfalls, we well as special tricks to create rich textures.
In the end of the workshop, you will also learn how to dry-mount your finished paintings with silicone paper to make it perfectly flat and ready for framing!
**Returning students are welcome. The subject matters will vary for each workshop. **
Here are some of the concepts Henry will cover:
1. "Idea comes first (also known as "With a complete bamboo in mind").
2. "Idea complete with absence of stroke".
3. "Count white as black" (arranging the negative space)
4. "House leaking stain", "Stick drawing on sand" or "Bite of Woodworms"
(referring to the line quality in Chinese Brush Painting esthetics)
5. "Boldly starting, carefully ending" at stop at 70%!
6. "The wonder is in between resemblance and dissemblance."
7. "Distinction of Five Tonalities of Ink."
8. "One stroke painting."
9. "Seeking Stone" Theory.
10."Principles of composition:
The Chinese "Golden Rule"
Two and Three Lines Composition.
H,S,C and M-shaped Compositions
Signature and Seal Placement
Especially for Landscape:
11. Dragon Vein
12. Opening and Closing
Maximum Enrollment: 5 (1 student minimum)
Fees: See individual and group rates below
* Paper, ink and paints are provided for the workshop. Please bring your own brushes(you may also borrow and purchase them at the workshop) and your name seal if you have one.
1) Please register early to reserve your seat. If you cannot attend the workshop due to any unforeseen circumstance, please contact us as soon as possible to allow us time finding a replacement student. You will receive a full refund if you cancel 24 hours before the workshop starts, 50% refund for less than 24 hours, but before workshop starts.
2) If we have to cancel for any any unforeseen circumstance, we will give a full refund.
3) No refund after the workshop starts.
Quality Inn and Suites,
1170 Fairway Drive
Walnut, CA 91789
Hotel website: http://www.qiwalnut.com/
Best Western Plus Executive Inn
18880 E Gale Ave
Rowland Heights, CA 91748
Tel. (626) 810-1818